History of museums of Turkmenistan

The first museum collection in Turkmenistan have started to be collected in 1894. Those years it was consist of exhibits which concerned to history, archeology, ethnography, nature and the fine arts of Turkmen people.

On the basis of historical events the museum in Geokdepe has started to operate in 1897.
The official ceremony of the opening of the museum of Caspian area in Ashgabat has taken place on March 17th in 1899.

 


The building of a special construction for public library and a museum has begun on September 29th in 1902, and its solemn opening has taken place in 1904.  This museum was called as a museum of Caspian area till 1919.

 


The branch of the fine arts has opened in the museum of local lore in 1927.
The fine arts museum has been created in 1938.
With creation of Academy of sciences of Turkmenistan in its department was included a museum of local lore in 1951.
The State museum of local lore became to be a part of the Ministry of culture of Turkmenistan in 1963.

 


As the result of uniting of museum of history, museum of local lore and memorial museum “Fighters of revolution”, the State united museum of history and local lore of Turkmenistan was created in 1985. It accommodated in the building of the formal head of Transcaspian region.

 

Museums of the period of independence of Turkmenistan


According to the Decree of the President of Turkmenistan for № 3479, as a result of association of operating before, museum of national history and ethnography of Turkmenistan and museum of the fine arts of Turkmenistan, the National museum of Turkmenistan has been created on January 5th in 1998.

The solemn opening of the National museum of Turkmenistan has taken place on 12-th of  November    1998.

 

The museum of the fine arts of Turkmenistan has been opened on 16-th  of February   2005.

 

The museum of the First President of Turkmenistan has been opened at the National cultural centre of Turkmenistan on 17-th February   2007.

 

Paying special attention to questions of perfection of museum business, the Honourable President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov has laid down the aim to study in a root history of museums of Turkmenistan.
In conformity with the Decree of the President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov for № 8270 on   21-st  of  February   2007; on either side of the building of the National museum of Turkmenistan, the construction of the museum of the President of Turkmenistan and museum of ethnography and local lore has begun.
The National museum of Turkmenistan is renamed into the Main national museum of Turkmenistan by the Decree of the President of Turkmenistan on 14-th of May    2009.
The solemn openings of the constructions of the museum of ethnography and local lore and the museum of the President of Turkmenistan in the Main national museum of Turkmenistan has taken place on 18-th of May   2009 and on 29-th of June    2009 accordingly.

 

The President of Turkmenistan publishes the Decree about the construction of buildings of regional museums of history and ethnography in the cities of Balkanabat, Mary, Turkmenabat on 12-th of May  2008, and the Decree about construction of the building of the regional museum of history and ethnography in Dashoguz on 31-st of July    2009. Museums have solemnly opened the doors for visitors:


in Mary on 15-th of February   2010


in Dashoguz on  20-th of June  2011

 

in Turkmenabat on 15-th of September  2011

 

in Balkanabat on 10-th of October    2011

 

Building of museums was carried out by the known building companies of the world and the exposition has been issued with active assistance of the Main national museum of Turkmenistan which is the basic methodical centre of museums of Turkmenistan.

According to the Decree of the President of Turkmenistan №12981on 25-th of April “On improvement of the activity of the institutions of the Ministry of culture of Turkmenistan”, the Main national museum of Turkmenistan was include as a component of    the State cultural centre of Turkmenistan and was called  the State museum of  the State cultural centre of Turkmenistan.

Starting from that day was changed the name of the Museum of the President of the State cultural centre, it was renamed into the department of the first President of    the State cultural centre of Turkmenistan.